Now and then I watch a film or TV show, play a computer game or read a book, that I then enjoy reviewing on Twitter.
Of course from the perspective of a history addict obsessed with details and authenticity.
Here I’ll try and keep an updated list of my reviews.
- The Vikings (1958)
- A Knights Tale (2001)
- Black Death (2010)
- The VVitch (2015)
- Their finest (2016).
- The King (2019)
- The Old Guard (2020)
- The Last Duel (2021)
- The Northman (2022)
- Medieval (2022)
- The Pale Blue Eye (2022)
- A Plague Tale (2019)
- Assassin’s Creed Valhalla (2020)
- War Mongrels (2021)
- Manor Lords (demo) (2022)
- Sniper Elite 5 (2022)
- Pentiment (2022)
- Iron Chef (2022)
- 1899 (2022)
- Barbarians season, 2 (2022)
- A discovery of witches, season 2 (2021)
- The Black Death (2023)
- ‘Life in Medieval Europe, fact and fiction’ by Daniele Cybulskie
- ‘Unfortunate Ends: On Murder and Misadventure in Medieval England’ by Soren Lily.
- ‘Struwwelpeter’, by Heinrich Hoffmann
- Saint Martin by the Master of Sierentz. (1440–1450)
- Couple Seated on a Bed, from Sses of Daily Life, by Israhel van Meckenem, 1440s
- Hausbuch von Schloss Wolfegg, bathing scene, c. 1480
- Joanna I of Castile’s book of hours, circa 1500.
- ‘Twelve proverbs’ by Pieter Bruegel the Elder, 1558.
- The Pancake Bakery, by Pieter Aertsen, 1560.
- ‘The Hunters in the Snow’ by Pieter Bruegel the Elder, 1565.
- ‘The Census at Bethlehem’, Pieter Bruegel the Elder, 1566
- Winter Landscape with Ice Skaters, Hendrick Avercamp, c. 1608.
- Ice Skating in a village, Hendrick Avercamp, ca. 1610
- Winter, by Adriaen Pietersz. van de Venne, 1625.
- The Discovery of Jan Claasz, by Cornelis Troost, 1738
- Der lästige Kavalier (The troublesome cavalier/”gentleman”) by Berthold Woltze (1829–1896)
- A view of The Hague from the Delftse Vaart in the Seventeenth Century, Cornelis Springer, 1852.
- “For the benefit of those ladies who ask the right to smoke in public.” Puck magazine, 1908.
- Elektroschutz in 132 Bildern (Electrical Protection in 132 Pictures)
Analysing old photos
- Woman selling chocolate on the street in Kensington, London, 1930s.
- Murder on the Rue des Bordeaux, crime scene photo 1903
- Medieval literacy & the story of 7 year old Onfim.
- Beethoven was not black.
- Testing an AI chat bot’s history knowledge
- Rushes on medieval and post medieval floors
- The Titanic baby
- Air rifle Ria
- The bodies in the ice
- The “Nanking massacre” photo album
- The Medieval body found at St Bees Priory
- Remi’s story, the tiny victim of the Holocaust
- Illustrations of Medieval carnivals.
- Dutch WWII booklet ‘Mad and Wise during Seyss’
- Victorian Lady cyclist detectives
- Putting LOTS of art & old photos through the Myheritage animation application.
- Medieval & Renaissance beekeeping
- 18th & 19th century Anti slavery ceramics
- Original 15th century bathhouse in Germany
- Kenau Simonsdochter Hasselaer
Oh by the way:
If you like my work, please consider supporting me on Patreon;
Picture(s) found online, used for (re-)educational purposes only.
I do not own the copyrights to these images, I only share them here for educational purposes to try and make sure the real story behind it becomes known and people will stop spreading false information.
If the copyright owner objects to the sharing here, kindly contact me and I shall alter the article.
If you’re interested in using any of the images here get in touch with the copyright owners mentioned in the article.
Feel free to contact me with questions.